16 September 2016

I wish I hadn't done that.


A delightful lightweight 1930s quilt, nearly all printed feed-sacks,  with a wee print backing,  in my favorite block.  Log Cabin.


The edges were a bit frayed, so I decided to unpick the knife edge and turn the back print to the front to bind.


Nearly all hand pieced, the batting is partly a very threadbare pink damask cloth or spread that had itself been patched. I also spy some bits of  curtain lining,  Nicely, but sparsely hand quilted in baptist fans, perhaps our maker could not afford more thread, its obvious she did not mind the work.


I have not done a very good job, I wish I had
a...tacked a protective binding around the edge or
b...redone a knife edge, though the original was finely stitched   or
c...left it alone.
I wonder what story this  typical depression era beauty has to tell.




2 comments:

  1. That quilt is utterly beautiful, and one can only wonder about the stories the maker would have to tell ... xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...